Looking for a PS3 controller?
Let’s take a look at what’s available
If you’ve been gaming for any length of time you’re undoubtedly already aware of the large selection of controllers available for most consoles. What you might not realize is the sheer number of options available, especially if you’re a Ps3 owner. Everything from standard controllers to musical instrument shaped devices is available; there is a controller that’s perfect for your application / situation.
Here are some of the most notable examples:
- Ps3 Dualshock 3 wireless (standard)
- Ps3 Dualshock 3 wired
- Ps3 “Move” motion controller
- Sony Ps3 remote control (for movies, DVD, Blu-ray, etc…)
- Flight-based controllers (for flying games)
- Racing wheel-based controllers (for racing games)
- Playstation move sharpshooter (a handheld gun controller)
- Wireless guitar controller (for games like guitar hero and rock band)
- Wireless drum controllers (for games like rock band)
- Keyboard controllers (for games like rock band)
- Controllers for arcade style fighting games
- Conventional qwerty keyboards
- ..and others
While it’s always a good idea to have several standard Ps3 Dualshock controllers on hand, many of these other devices add quite a bit to the experience of certain types of games. For example, if you primarily use your console as a glorified cable box, the addition of a TV style remote is an extremely intelligent purchase. Likewise, if you find yourself primarily playing games like guitar hero or rock band, having a few instrument-based controllers on hand will increase the enjoyment between you and your mates considerably.
Additionally, there are a great number of companies which specialize in producing alternative versions of the standard Sony controllers. Many of these devices are often much less expensive than their brand name counterparts and may even include additional features not to be found on officially licensed equipment.